Yes, the second roundup of top ice cream spots in San Francisco is here (Part 1 here)! This second roundup is comprised of winners in the Gelato, Softserve and Frozen Yogurt categories. To make things less confusing, I made a poster to show the differences between each type of ice cream. During my research, I found some surprising facts. For example, I always thought frozen yogurt was the healthiest option, but it has a lot more sugar than the rest even though it’s low fat or fat-free. So if you are counting calories, fro-yo doesn’t work because it actually has similar amount of calories as ice cream. But who counts calories when they are having ice cream?
One of the perks of living in San Francisco is that the city is very health conscious. You will find that many of the ice cream shops are not shy about sharing what natural and organic ingredients they use. But if you live elsewhere and eat ice cream regularly, I recommend sourcing out higher quality ice cream for your indulgence.
- O=Organic options
- V=Vegan options
- M=Multiple locations
16. Holy Gelato – Holy it’s amazing! Besides having a large selection of gelato and sorbets, they have an array of vegan gelato as well.
( 1392 9th Ave San Francisco, CA 94122 | 415-681-3061 ) O / V
Don’t miss: Honey Lavender & Irish Morning
17. Marco Polo Italian Ice Cream – Asian meets Italian! Marco Polo serves some seriously velvety gelato with Asian flavors like sesame, durian and soursop.
( 1447 Taraval St San Francisco, CA 94116 | 415) 731-2833 )
Don’t miss: Durian & Taro Root
18. Gelato Classico Italian – Real rich and creamy gelato, need I say more?
( 576 Union St San Francisco, CA 94133 | 415-391-6667 ) M / V
Don’t miss: Coppa Mista (chocolate, pistachio, vanilla, and almond)
19. Gelateria Naia – Whether it’s traditional flavors or Naia’s own creations, you can taste quality in every bite.
(520 Columbus Ave San Francisco, CA 94133 | 415-677-9280 ) M / V
Don’t miss: Pistachio & Burnt Caramel
20. Alimento – Not your ordinary Italian delicatessen, this place also makes mouthwatering gelato.
( 507 Columbus Ave San Francisco, CA 94133 | 415-296-9463 ) V
Don’t miss: Cookies Extreme
21. La Copa Loca – Love their name! Crazy Cup definitely has a crazy selection of gelatos and fruity sorbets!
( 3150 22nd St San Francisco, CA 94110 | 415-401-7424 ) V
Don’t miss: Bacia (Chocolate Hazelnut Truffle)
22. Frozen Kuhsterd – The very first frozen custard truck in the nation! Frozen custard has more eggs, giving it a creamier and thicker texture.
( 18th & Mission Street, San Francisco, CA Coming Soon | 415-371-9050 ) M / O / V
Don’t miss: Boba Sundae with Thai Tea
23. Loving Cup – Pick your toppings and they will blend everything together with a vanilla or chocolate base fro0yo. Talk about love in a cup!
( 2356 Polk St San Francisco CA 94109 | 415-440-6900 ) M / O / V
Don’t miss: Strawberry Shortcake (Strawberries with Animal Crackers) & Rice Pudding
24. Fraiche – This is as gourmet as it gets. All froyo is made with organic ingredients, and most of their toppings are either organic or fair-trade.
( 1910 Fillmore St San Francisco, CA 94115 | 415-674-6876 ) M / O / V
Don’t miss: Fro-yo with Home-Made Mochi Topping
25. Easy Breezy – Always coming up with new adventurous flavors and many non-dairy options!
( 718 Irving St San Francisco, CA 94122 ) M / O / V
Don’t miss: Vanilla Custard ( technically not frozen yogurt but it’s delicious!) with Popping Bobas
26. Caffe Ambrosia – A hidden gem in the alleyway of downtown SF. Serves gourmet fro-yo for a fraction of the price.
( 14 Trinity Pl San Francisco, CA 94104 | 415-362-0538 )
Don’t miss: French Vanilla with any toppings (warm brownie for me!)
27. Super Duper Burgers – The burger meal isn’t completed without this organic softserve!
( 721 Market St San Francisco, CA 94103 | 415-538-3437 ) M / O
Don’t miss: Twirled Softserve
28. Zero Zero – I would like to propose adding a One to their name because their custom order softserve is 1-0-0 percent delicious!
( 826 Folsom St San Francisco, CA 94107 | 415-348-8800 ) O / V
Don’t miss: Straus Vanilla Softserve With Fiordolio Olive Oil and Sea Salt
29. Eatwell Farm’s Ice Box – This organic farm has branched out and made some of the best softserves (and waffle cone) I have ever had!
( 1727 Haight St San Francisco, CA 94117 in Second Act Marketplace | 415-713-0270 ) O
Don’t miss: Softserve on Butter Cones
30. Twirl And Dip – I will twirl and dip into their soft serve anytime! You can’t go to Golden Gate Park without trying one of their cones!
( Martin Luther King Jr. Drive corner of Museum Concourse Drive, Golden Gate Park San Francisco, CA 94107 | 415-205-8261 ) M / O
Don’t miss: Vanilla Soft Serve (flecks of vanilla beans!) Dipped in Dark TCHO Chocolate
What’s your favorite ice cream spots and flavors? I would love to hear about it!
Join Sprinkles Letters for exclusive offers and the latest inspirations!