Ever since I read the book The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing, I have been KonMari-ing rigorously. It’s so inspiring that I decided to sum it up visually to get more people on board with this life-changing method.
I have created a new solution called Tidy-Like-A-Pro Kit to help you significantly reduce the stress and time of de-cluttering. It has everything you need to help you reach a clutter-free home. Check it out in Sprinkles Shop, it will change your de-cluttering experience.
1. Treat your tidying up as a special event!
(carrying the balloons is Marie Kondo, the amazing organization extraordinaire)
2. Gather EVERY item in the house that belongs to that category you are tidying up.
Always start with the clothing category. (includes hats, bags, shoes, and so on)
3. Begin discarding intensely.
4. Decide which one goes, which on stays by asking yourself, does it SPARK JOY?
Pick up each item and ask yourself “does it spark joy?”. Be honest with yourself and let go of what doesn’t excite you.
5. Fold each item you are keeping neatly. Every item deserves care and respect.
I’ve created a diagram to show you how to fold everything! For children, Kondo Marie suggests teaching them how to fold first and put away their clothes in the right place. I have made a set of children clothes labels (boys and girls) that you can print and label their clothes so they know where things go.
6. Store items vertically so it’s easy to see and access.
If you need some closet inspirations, this surreal Konmari closet will do just the thing.