I used to binge on Quaker’s boxed granola as a kid, and then gradually upgraded to Nature’s Path as an adult. Once the box or bag is in my hand, there is no turning back.
I made my very first granola at home many years ago, and since then I have been converted to a “homemade-granolan”. Freshly baked granola just tastes better with distinct caramelized maple syrup flavor and aromatic pure vanilla, and it is healthier with lower sodium and fat content.
This recipe is the culmination of 30 plus batches and very honest feedback from my personal taste testers, aka family and friends. The recipe is adopted from foolproofliving.com.
Feel free to substitute whole hazelnuts and whole almonds with cashews and or walnuts. And try to use organic ingredients whenever you can, you will definitely notice the difference in taste!
Chunky Hazelnut Almond Vanilla Granola (Yield: 8-9 cups)
Level: (easy to hard)
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes, plus cooling
- 18” x 13” x 1”deep baking sheet (baker’s half sheet)
- Parchment paper or silicone baking mat
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- 1 Spatula / Wooden spoon
- 1 Chopping board and knife
- 2 Large bowls
- 1 Flat bottom measuring cup or ramekin for pressing down
- 4 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats*
- 2 cups raw almond slices*
- 1/2 cup raw whole hazelnut (roughly chopped)*
- 1/2 cup raw whole almond (roughly chopped)*
- 2/3 cup unsweetened coconut shreds*
- 1/2 cup 100% pure maple syrup* (Grade B is ideal for cooking or baking, it’s darker with more robust flavor. If using Grade A, typically for eating, try dark amber for fuller maple flavor)
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar*
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract*
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil* (preferably melted coconut oil)
Optional – mix in 1 cup of dried fruits like currants and cranberries AFTER it’s cooled.
- Preheat oven to 325°F degrees.
- Chop up whole hazelnuts and almonds.
- Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Mix wet ingredients in another large bowl.
- Pour wet into dry ingredients.
- Fold until the dry ingredients are thoroughly coated.
- Line the baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Spread mixture evenly onto prepared baking sheet.
- Press the mixture down with a flat bottom glass bottle or ramekin until it is TIGHTLY compressed.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until golden brown, rotating pan half way during baking, around 15 minute mark. Do NOT stir.
- Allow granola to cool completely (approx. 1 hour) before storing it in an airtight container.
Shelf life – up to 3 weeks in an airtight container at room temperature